Thursday, May 9, 2013

Transitioning from Working to SAHM

A couple months ago, I quit my job and we moved a few hours over so I could be a stay at home mom.
I was a supervisor for a company that did computer mapping. I thought it was stressful, I thought it was hard working and doing home things, I thought it was rewarding.

I'm not going to say I was wrong... but I can't say I was right either.

This is stressful, this is hard... but it is extremely rewarding. We're working on it.

Here are some things I HAVE to do in order to make the day go smoothly:
  • Plan my day (and everyone elses') . I use the (affiliate link) Motivated Moms
  • Start laundry
  • Do some dishes
  • Have quiet time, preferably during the baby's nap time
  • Intentionally spend time outside of school time with the girls
  • Play outside.


If the girls are happy and entertained, they aren't getting in trouble. And that's the solid truth of it. We do school (a little one-on-one and a little together), I spend time with them folding/dusting/cooking, and we go outside, where I encourage them to look and smell everything around them. They toss sticks in the mudhole, pick wildflowers, dig worms out of the dirt, 'climb' trees, and run around. 

It's stressful, so stressful. But I can see that it's worth it. I'm more in tune with my girls than I ever have been, they are happier, healthier, and they tell me often they like it when I can be home with them. 

That makes it all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I recently retired, well, I mean retired from teaching. Now I blog, help my husband with his new business, grandma, homemake and and and.. trying to find a working schedule when there is no firm schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm celebrating my first anniversary as a WAHM in a few weeks. Even now, a year after the big switch, making sure our days goes smoothly is still a challenge. You have a great list to start with right there. All it takes is a lot of patience and the desire to get things done.
    Best of luck to us! :) Us homebased moms need each other to stay sane. :)

    xo Patty
    http://mrspcuyugan.com

    ReplyDelete